I'm Boycotting "50 Shades of Grey"
Universal Studios has chosen to release 50 Shades of Grey, a film which glorifies sexual abuse and violence against women, on Valentine's Day 2015. They need to know: we're supporting TRUE love by boycotting this movie!
In case you haven't heard, 50 Shades of Grey is a film based on an "erotic" novel that promotes BDSM and other perverted sex practices against an innocent young woman under the guise of "romance." Critics from across the political spectrum - from liberal feminists to traditional conservatives - have called the book and its movie adaptation a grotesque display of emotional abuse and sexual violence.
Even the trailer is upsetting for survivors of sexual violence. One CitizenGO supporter wrote to us, explaining that she was raped by her grandfather when she was 8 years old. When she saw the trailer for 50 Shades of Grey, all the painful memories came flooding back to her. She wanted to know if we could help oppose this terrible movie!
The main character of the film has been described as a stalker, abusive, manipulative, controlling, jealous, and threatening. I've included some quotes exposing the obvious sexual abuse in the book, but WARNING, these quotes may be triggering for some. Proceed with caution...
- "No," I protest, trying to kick him off. He stops. "If you struggle, I'll tie your feet too. If you make a noise, Anastasia, I will gag you."
- "Alaska is very cold and no place to run. I would find you. I can track your cell phone - remember?"
- "You need to learn to manage my expectations. I am not a patient man" He'd probably like to beat seven shades of $*** out of me. The thought is depressing.
- He narrows his eyes, and then seems to remember himself. Releasing my hand, he takes my elbow and leads me out of the room. "This convesation is not over, " he whispers threateningly.
- "So you feel demeaned, debased, abused and assaulted? How very Tess Durbeyfield of you. I believe it was you who decided on the debasement, if I remember correctly. Do you really feel like this or do you think you ought to feel like this? Two very different things. If that is how you feel, do you think you could just try and embrace these feelings, deal with them for me? That's what a submissive would do."
This is emphatically NOT romance. And we need to tell Universal Pictures that we won't be spending a dime on their misogynistic film, especially on Valentine's Day.
Sign the petition to send an email to Universal executive Kathy Kelly-Brown, letting her know that you're BOYCOTTING 50 Shades of Grey.
Sign this petition now!
I'm boycotting "50 Shades of Grey"