Possible Irish Gov't Coalition Partners: Take a Pro-Life Stand!
The process to select a new Government in Ireland is now underway.
From the numbers of Dáil seats per party, it seems likely that either Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael could be the leader of a grand coalition. Or, it is also possible that FF and FG could go into coalition with each other.
So, one way or another, either, or both, Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael, look set to be in government, in the not-so-distant future.
Of course, these possibilities - particularly, the resurgence of Fianna Fáil - have come about because of the decimation of the Labour Party in the election. After 5 years of liberal social policies and austerity, Irish voters turned against Labour in big numbers. And recently, with the 8th Amendment (the Pro-life Amendment) so much maligned by the Labour Party, the Irish voter had to decide where he or she stood on that vital matter, as well.
So, in that regard, it's pretty clear: pro-life belief is still alive and well in Ireland.
But, there is more to it than that. In the sense that this was partly a "pro-life" result, it also must be said that this was not simply an organic development.
Not at all. In reality, Irish pro-lifers worked hard to achieve the election of pro-life candidates and the rejection of pro-abortion candidates. As little as it is reported on in the Irish media, the rejection of the Labour Party's pro-abortion agenda stems, at least, in part, from the visibility and hard work of the Irish pro-life community.
Now, it is time for the Irish political establishment - and, in particular, Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael - to do two important things:
- First, they must recognise that the recent election results were due, in no small part, to the extraordinary efforts of the Irish pro-life community;
- And, second, they must see this as a clear mandate from the electorate to take a pro-life stand, both in the formation of a new government, and in the policy agenda promoted by any new government.
This petition, therefore, calls on Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael to retain the Pro-Life Amendment - the 8th Amendment. At the same time, this petition also calls on them to make a priority of better helping women and men who find themselves in a crisis pregnancy. Without falling-back on abortion, this petition asks that any new Government propose real solutions to real questions about desperation in pregnancy and foetal anamoly, so as to alleviate any "crisis" before it begins.
This means that new, "pro-life minded" strategies must be developed in different areas, including:
- 1) Making mental health as a standard part of maternal healthcare;
- 2) Making and promoting adoption an easier option to avail of;
- 3) Making funds and counselling available to women and men who need financial (and, or, other) support during their pregnancy;
- And, 4) Building-up regional and local centres of perinatal excellence, where families, who have a poor diagnosis for their unborn child, can come to receive counselling and the reassurance that Government will help make life easier for them as they courageously prepare to welcome their precious baby into the world - for however long he or she may have to live.
Thank you for signing!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Sign this petition now!
Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael - Take a Pro-Life Stand